Terrance Franklin Killing: BCA plans to open investigation into deadly 2013 Minneapolis police shooting – WCCO

0



MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) – The Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension plans to open an investigation into a fatal Minneapolis police shooting in 2013.

The Hennepin County District Attorney’s Office said the office had considered new evidence of Terrance Franklin’s death since he took the case to a grand jury.

READ MORE: Governor Walz pushes to end COVID emergency but retains certain powers

“We sent a letter in early May to the Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension suggesting that they consider conducting a new investigation. The BCA was not the original investigative agency, so it would take an outside and independent look, ”HCAO officials said in a statement on Saturday.

Franklin, 22, was shot and killed in a confrontation with police at a Uptown home. At the time, Minneapolis police said he fled, broke into a house, hid in a basement during an altercation, and seized the gun. ‘one officer, hitting two.

Walt Franklin welcomes a new investigation into his son’s death, saying he doesn’t deserve to die for his actions.

“It will be a blessing if we can reopen this thing,” Walt said. “I prayed and hoped that this would happen. I asked for something to happen like this to make it stand out.

Walt believes the increased surveillance by the Minneapolis Police Department following the murder of George Floyd and those investigating the MPD contributed to this moment.

“I thank God it took George Floyd to open this up to everyone, to open my eyes to see that we have to re-investigate all these cases that the Minneapolis police have forced themselves on,” Walt said.

MPD initially investigated its own shooting involving an officer and found no wrongdoing. The then police chief insisted that the BCA investigate future cases of police using force. It happened in 2014.

READ MORE: Why are some people more prone to mosquito bites?

Terrance Franklin (credit: CBS)

Franklin’s family attorney Mike Padden said in an interview with WCCO in 2020 that the story was “something I didn’t find believable.” He went on to say that “the police are alleging that this young man seized the weapon of the SWAT officer and shot two officers. We didn’t believe it.

“Breaking into a house to escape arrest is a crime, but it does not merit a death sentence. We have embarked on years of a process of discovery which we believe has resulted in the truth, not the official police-generated version, ”said Padden.

After a grand jury cleared police of wrongdoing, Padden filed a wrongful death complaint. In February 2020, the family settled $ 795,000 with the city of Minneapolis.

Padden says video evidence captured by a man on his iPod touch was at the heart of the case. He says when the audio is improved you can hear MPD agents using racial slurs. Seconds later, he says Franklin’s voice can be heard in the video.

“A lot of times what happens is you see in the video, you see a different story in the reports than what the video shows,” he said. “He didn’t deserve to die, that’s all. I think it is clear from the evidence in this case that it was a direct execution, and therefore murder. “

Padden has analyzed Franklin’s case for years and finally published a book last October. His investigation is also part of a item TIME published last week.

“I hope that for my client, it is that there is a criminal prosecution,” he said. “Now what will happen after that remains to be seen.”

Minneapolis Police told WCCO in October that the case “had been thoroughly investigated and thoroughly examined by legal experts. The result of these two investigations revealed that there had been no wrongdoing on the part of the Minneapolis Police Department. “

NO MORE NEWS: Keegan Oyugi’s body and car found in Savage, police say

The BCA told WCCO that the agency is currently assessing what its involvement in the case would be, if any.



Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.